Thursday, October 25, 2012

His people...

Often, as I'm drifting off to sleep, I think of the great blog that I want to write. Last night I was doing just that, but this morning I can't for the life of me remember what it was! So much has happened since I last posted. So much that I want to share, but how do I put it all into words?

This week we made another trip into "Pine Hill." It's always a beautiful drive, and usually cloudy. This time, however, it was sunny and bright. And I didn't have my camera to capture the beauty. But it gives me hope that when we do eventually move to that area, it won't be cloudy everyday.

On our previous trip, my kids quickly
made friends!
I continue to be amazed at how open the people are. I realize that my four children are a natural draw. People are curious, and we attract a crowd. Most of the time, I'm ok with being stared at. Or my children being carried away by members of the family we're visiting. And my kids seem to be okay with it most of the time too. Of course, for them it usually means someone to play with them or to give them candy.

On this trip, we visited Don J's family. Don J has three adult sons and one daughter. We're still learning who is who and how they all relate. That may take a few years! This visit, Clay chatted with Don J, asking him questions about life in Pine Hill and how to say a few phrases in ZK. While they chatted, Don J shared that July is the time of year that many people get sick. He shared that the reason is that it rains over the cemetary, then the sun comes out. As the sun heats things up, the steam rises from the cemetary, then the wind blows that steam over the town. The people get sick. For him, there is a connection between the spiritual world and sickness here on earth.

The next morning, I was talking with Don J's daughter in law, G. We were standing outside, and the sun was getting warm, so I took off Matthew's sweatshirt. At that time, G asked me if my kids get sick alot. I assumed she was referring to the weather and my kids not being bundled up tightly. She said, "Here, the beautiful babies get sick because the people are always looking at them."

"Oh, the Evil Eye," I said. "We believe that Jesus Christ guards us and protects us. He is more powerful." G shook her head in agreement, but didn't comment.

Sometimes, I wonder why we are entering Pine Hill. They all claim to love the Lord. Or at least they claim allegiance to the Church. But most of them have no knowledge of what the Bible says, or the freedom that Christ offers. They don't know the beautiful love story that God has given us. They don't understand what a relationship with Jesus means. And once again, I am reminded why God has called us to these people. His people.


Pine Hill
"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14



No comments:

Post a Comment