Thursday, January 3, 2013

Missed Opportunities

Today I spent an hour all alone with my Savior. It was a blessed, peaceful time. And it was also a time of conviction. I actually had time to LISTEN, not just spout off my list of wants and needs. Overall, God has been speaking to my heart about prayer, so it was a time to connect, listen, and learn.

Over the past few weeks, I have been praying that the Lord would open doors for me to invest in the life of a woman. I prayed fervently that He would bring someone into my life. I so desperately want to be involved in ministry outside of my home. But I just haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone, and I was sad.

As I sat with God this morning, He reminded me of this prayer.

And then He reminded me of three women who have rang my doorbell this week.

THREE women!
     One was selling lotion and perfumes.
          One was asking if I needed a house helper to clean.
               And one asked if I had laundry she could wash, or old clothes that she could have.

With the first lady, I considered buying something because I so desperately wanted to help her and her little girl that was tied on her back. Instead, I gave her some dry beans and some other food.

When the second lady came, I actually had 3 (unexpected) visitors sitting at my kitchen table. (A whole other story for another day!) She asked if I needed a helper. I assured her I already had one. She asked if my helper came every day. I assured her that she did. Then she asked if my neighbor needed a helper. I assured her that she did. And then she asked if my neighbor's helper came every day. I assured her that she did. Then we repeated the whole conversation, and she left.

The third lady is the one who grieves my heart the most. She was disheveled, dirty, and her front teeth were rotted away. (Something I now recognize as a sign of malnutrition.) She had an equally dirty and disheveld child on her back and another one held her hand. The children's faces lacked the bright-eyed look that children should have. Instead, only blank stares. Why didn't I invite her in? I have SO much that I could have shared with her. I have food. I have clothes.

And I have the life changing Gospel that I could have and should have shared with her.

But that day I was too busy...and now my heart aches for this mother of 2 little ones.

I pray that I will always be prepared. Prepared to rearrange my schedule to accomodate a woman in need. Prepared to share from my abundance. Prepared to share a story from the Book that transformed my life.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."
1 Peter 3:15




1 comment:

  1. WOW! This is an amazing blog post. Thank-you for so honestly posting your thoughts here and challenging me to look for those opportunities to minister to others. I think we are all guilty of missed opportunities. May these three stories have you completely prepared for the next woman that crosses your path... the one that may really need you to minister to her!!! Love to you!!

    ReplyDelete