Saturday, May 18, 2013

Moving to Pine Hill


 


It’s amazing what a little bit of perspective can do. It’s also amazing when you can see God’s hand working, guiding, directing.  And to be honest, I needed to step back and get a better perspective this week.

 

We had planned to move on Tuesday, April 30. It was the day that our kitchen cabinets and countertops were to be complete. And it made sense to us. So Clay made plans for the moving truck to leave Pine Hill, pick up a load of lumber (for a friend) from the saw mill just outside of Pine Hill, and come to San Cristobal. The truck would drop off the lumber at a friend’s house, then pick up our countertops, and then come to our house to load everything.

 

On that Tuesday, we were awakened by a phone call from the lumber mill asking where the truck was. They were supposed to be there “early” to get things loaded. After a few calls, we learned that the truck was still loaded with produce and would have to be unloaded. So we finished packing…and we waited. That afternoon we heard from the driver. He was picking up the wood, but wouldn’t be in to San Cristobal until
early” the next day.

 

On Wednesday, we were again awakened by a phone call. This time, it was the driver saying he was leaving Tuxtla (a 45 minute drive)! We were surprised because the truck really was arriving early! Clay and some guys got the wood off of the truck, picked up the countertop, and then headed to our house. A few hours later, we were loading the kids into the car and heading to Pine Hill.

 
 
 
That evening, when the moving truck pulled up in front of our Pine Hill house, I wasn’t ready for what was about to happen. Of course people stopped and stared, watching everything that was being carried into our house. At first, they stood on the street, but eventually they ventured into our front yard. And they sat. Some even bought snacks at the local store to eat while they enjoyed the show!

 

I will say it is difficult knowing that everything that you own is being carefully observed and evaluated by the whole community. Some ladies even asked me how much this or that cost! I was glad that I could honestly answer that I didn’t know.

 

We were under the microscope. And it wasn’t very comfortable.

 


But then God gently reminds me that He holds me under the microscope too. He hears every word that I utter. He sees every look of disgust or discomfort on my face. He even knows my innermost thoughts. So although I could hide stuff inside of a box where curious eyes couldn’t see, I can’t hide anything from God.

 

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” Ps 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment