Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas in the Village?

A few days ago I explained the history behind the Virgin of Guadalupe because I wanted to share an interesting insight into the culture here in Southern Mexico. It was something that I really wasn't expecting.

We were in Pine Hill, visiting our people group when I asked about how they celebrate Christmas. My friend shared with me that they go to mass on Christmas Eve, and some people may go on Christmas Day too. That's it. No tree. No presents. No special meal.

It caught me off guard because I expected there to be some significance to them. And it saddened me that they place so much emphasis on the Virgin of Guadalupe, and the birth of Jesus is just another day.

Next question to ask, do they celebrate 3 Kings Day (epiphany)?

No comments:

Post a Comment