Monday, December 10, 2012

Slump

I've been in a bit of a writing slump lately. I realized today that I hadn't written a blog post in over a month. I really try to write at least twice a month. I want to keep everyone back home informed on what we're doing. I want to stay connected. I want my readers to feel connected.

Christmas can be a real lonely time of year for anyone, but especially when you're in a foreign country. We're doing our best to make it fun for our kids, but also maintaining the correct focus for the Holiday. And we are extremely blessed with our friends here in San Cristobal de las Casas.

So why haven't I written? Why this slump?

I guess because I feel like what I'm doing isn't any different than what you are doing. Who am I? I'm no different than any other follower of Christ. I just happen to live in a country where they speak many different languages. I am blessed to have arrived already speaking Spanish, therefore making our first year on the field much easier. Typically the first year is spent struggling to learn the culture and language. For us, our second year will most likely be a struggle to learn our third language.

So when people ask us what we're doing, it's sometimes hard to answer. We're not in language school. We don't have our own full-time ministry. We are in transition, fullfilling requirements that are in place to help us adjust to our "new" home, culture, and language. So nothing has changed. There's nothing exciting to write home about.

Yet I know that every day is an important step in our training.

No comments:

Post a Comment