Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Sweet Spot

I've been mulling over how to word what's on my mind for a week and a half. There's so much emotion inside of me. So much excitement! So much joy! And maybe even a little trepidation...
 
Recently I was chatting with a friend via skype. She shared how they had just bought an acreage with a beautiful house and a part of me longs for what she has. But it's just a small part. I shared about our home in the village and how we're sleeping in hammocks and cooking on a single burner stove top for the time being. And she asked, "is your soul happy?" And without a moment's hesitation, I answered, "YES!"
 
As I contemplate the path God has led me down, I have much for which to be thankful. I spent a total of six years teaching high school Spanish. I enjoyed my job, even if I did look forward to a snow day from time to time! I had fun interacting with young people. And I hope that I affected their lives in a way that pleases Jesus.
 
I was a pastor's wife in a small town in Iowa. I admit, that was an interesting place to be. We were kids, leading a congregation where many had already lived a full life of service to the Lord. And yet, they loved us, accepted us, and taught us so much! Again, I hope they learned to love Jesus even more from our service to them.
 
Our last few years in the States, I was the youth pastor's wife in Idaho. And I was beginning my journey as a mother. I had a full plate! And again, I hope that I affected the lives of our youth (and their families) in a way that pleases my Savior.
 
All of these experiences were good. They were enjoyable. I learned so much about people, about how to serve the Lord, and how to love the Lord.
 
But none of those experiences compare to where I am today...the sweet spot.
 
As I share Bible stories with people who have never heard and see the looks on their faces and watch the Holy Spirit opening their eyes to the Truth...words fail me. When they ask, "when are you coming back?" And tell me, "I enjoy talking with you. And I really enjoy hearing the stories that you tell from the Bible."
 
For me, this is what it's all about. I have a joy that fills my soul. I am honored that God would call me to this life of adventure. I realize that jungle life isn't for everyone. Some days I wonder if I'll really be able to strive in a village setting. This week, we lost electricity twice. For no apparent reason. And the water was off too. (We do have large tanks for storing water, so we were not without. And it wasn't our drinking water supply.) 
 
Today I make a stone of remembrance so that I may never forget the sweet spot.
He has created me and He has called me.
I will take refuge under His wings.
 
 
 "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
Psalm 91:4

No comments:

Post a Comment