Sunday, January 12, 2014

Smart, Handsome Ryan

Ryan is holding a coralillo snake that we
found in our back yard ...but don't worry.
It had already been killed.

            My handsome Ryan turns eight in February. This boy is growing and maturing so quickly! He’s had some difficult times, but I’m so proud of him. Living in Mexico has been one adventure after another and Ryan has taken each adventure in stride. When we left Idaho 2 ½ years ago, I don’t think he knew what he was saying goodbye to, or what kind of adventure he was entering. He is so brave!

            We spent three months in Virginia for training in 2011. Ryan was five years old. He attended school for MKs (missionary kids) where he learned about other countries, cultures, and religions. He made friends with the kids in class and although we haven’t had much contact, Ryan still remembers his friends and prays for them, their families, and their ministries.
 

            We moved to Mexico two years ago, in January 2012 and a whole new adventure began. Ryan was removed from his home culture and language and immersed in Spanish! It was very difficult for him at first. He attended a local school for a few months where he was expected to learn math and read in Spanish. He struggled, but today he can communicate very well in Spanish.

Sitting on a caiman in Suriname
            Last year, we spent a month in Suriname, which is a small country located north of Brazil. We lived in a cabin in the Amazon Jungle! And Ryan was in heaven! He’d go back in a heart beat. Is it any wonder that he has told me that he wants to be a missionary when he grows up?

            This school year Ryan and Ellie started school in our “Pine Hill” village. Life in a rural village is tough on a young boy. The other boys want to test him to see what he’s made of. How will he react to their taunting words? Will he fight? Will he cry? Will he join in and taunt others?
Ryan is afraid of heights, but he is brave!
Here we are on the tallest Ferris wheel in Latin America!

            After the Christmas break, Ryan really didn’t want to go back to school. We talked it over and I reminded him of God’s promises…”the Lord is my Shepherd” and “the Lord will fight for you, while you keep silent.”
Ryan wrote a special Christmas poem.
 
On Friday, after school, Ryan said, “Mom, one of the kids that was picking on me is my friend now.”

            “Oh? Tell me about it. What happened?” I asked.

            “I asked him if he wants to be my friend and he said yes.”

            I know he’ll have many more battles ahead of him, but I think we’re off to a good start. I’m so proud of Ryan! And I look forward to watching him grow in the Lord.

Our very own climbing wall!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment