Monday, March 31, 2014

First-World Problems…

Our village is only three hours from the state capitol of Chiapas, Mexico. But they’ve only had electricity for about 30 years. It’s crazy to think that in my lifetime this village didn’t have lights.

We’ve been living in Pine Hill for almost a year and I can’t tell you how many times we have had brown outs or black outs. For the ZK people, it’s really not that big of an issue. Most of them cook over fire, or maybe a gas stove. No one has an electric stove, so cooking isn’t an issue. And I’d be willing to bet that the ZK ladies could roll out tortillas in the dark faster than I ever could, even with the lights on!

But, for us who were born in a First-World country, we are annoyed and frustrated when there’s no electricity! It interrupts our plans. Or it makes it more difficult to study. Let me tell you…when it’s cloudy and there’s no electricity, it is inconvenient! I lit candles at 3pm the other day and was using a flashlight so that I could read to the kids! (I only have 3 windows in my house, so there isn’t much natural light.)

Two days ago we came home from a trip to the city to find that the lights were out…and the cell phone coverage was gone. Again. The interesting part to me is that we moved to the village knowing there was no cell phone coverage or internet and that electricity was sketchy at best. After living in these conditions for 8 months, we were ecstatic to finally have cell phone coverage. And the library received internet! How quickly we became re-accustomed to “modern” technology!

And as I reflect on the “inconveniences” that I live with, I’m reminded of missionary heroes like Hudson Taylor, Lottie Moon, and so many others. They left their home country with little or no expectation of returning. They gave their lives to their mission of taking God’s Word to the ends of the earth. They wrote letters via snail-mail to let people know what was happening and how to pray. It could take 3 months for the letters to be delivered. (There are some amazing similarities to where I live…)

 But alas, I serve a God who is bigger than any first-world problem. He knows my needs before I ever realize them. And He is putting things in motion for His glory. Pray for the people of Pine Hill, that the Light will shine in the darkness. (John 1:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment